
This afternoon we went down to the East Bay Co. docks where the ships would dock and trade their goods. Here is a picture of what is known as the 'Gateway to India'.
This is located at the tip of the Mumbai peninsula as shown here on the map:

Gateway to India
Across the square is one of the most expensive hotels in the country, I forget it's name. 
We went to eat and visit on the second floor at a restaurant overlooking the bay...here are those pictures.


Kids, here are the gentlemen that get our car doors, help us with our luggage and hold the doors open in front of our hotel. I thought they looked cool, so I asked if I could get a picture with them and they were excited to do it.
As we were leaving this area to head back to the hotel we drove by their horse carriages that were shiny silver and people were taking rides in them. In the backdrop is the the Gateway to India. Abby and Ashlyn you both would have loved this and would have definitely wanted to ride in it.
There are a lot of celebrations here because of their holiday Diwali (is the the equivalent to our Christmas -- gifts are given, time off work is taken, huge celebrations). The streets are very crowded and everyone is setting off fireworks (called fire crackers) in the streets. The celebration ends tonight, but even as I sit in my hotel room I can hear the booms of the fire crackers. Payton, you would have loved seeing this....the fire crackers are so close to the car that it feels like they might hit us.
All is well...it is 11:32pm here so I am getting tired and will head to bed.
Goodnight!

We went to eat and visit on the second floor at a restaurant overlooking the bay...here are those pictures.


Kids, here are the gentlemen that get our car doors, help us with our luggage and hold the doors open in front of our hotel. I thought they looked cool, so I asked if I could get a picture with them and they were excited to do it.
As we were leaving this area to head back to the hotel we drove by their horse carriages that were shiny silver and people were taking rides in them. In the backdrop is the the Gateway to India. Abby and Ashlyn you both would have loved this and would have definitely wanted to ride in it.
There are a lot of celebrations here because of their holiday Diwali (is the the equivalent to our Christmas -- gifts are given, time off work is taken, huge celebrations). The streets are very crowded and everyone is setting off fireworks (called fire crackers) in the streets. The celebration ends tonight, but even as I sit in my hotel room I can hear the booms of the fire crackers. Payton, you would have loved seeing this....the fire crackers are so close to the car that it feels like they might hit us. All is well...it is 11:32pm here so I am getting tired and will head to bed.
Goodnight!
No comments:
Post a Comment